Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I spy with my little eye

My vegie garden has made a comeback. I just woke up one morning and thought "That's it! It's time to get a growin'.!

I planted lettuce, rainbow chard, rocket, basil, mint, comfrey (for the chooks apparently), tomatoes, pumpkin, paper daisies (for the boys... we have been seeing them around lately and they are fascinated with them), thyme, beans, parsley, zucchinis and strawberries.

The lettuce, chard and rocket have been feeding us for about 2 months now, even with the odd bunch or two going to friends. There is nothing quite so wonderful as being able to share the bounty from your harvest! Sounds so lame... but I love it. 

The tomatoes are growing taller and taller and are just flowering up now. Once random little one that came up from last year in my basil pot is sporting lovely red fruit already. Every time I see them still there I am amazed that the little men haven't come along and gobbled them up, nothing like a tomato warm from the sun. They just taste different that way.

The paper daisies tried ever so hard to pop their heads up to the sun, but the enormous pumpkin leaves got in the way. They stand about a metre tall and are huge, bigger than dinner plates. I have never seen a pumpkin like it, but thought I would persist... mini pumpkins... 




Unfortunately every pumpkin that I picked had rotted through and fell apart in my hands... so disappointing. I had visions of baking them whole stuffed with yummy things like pine nuts and ricotta. So, the decision is made – Out come the pumpkins on the weekend and in go some peas. I have been pondering whether or not to try broad beans... a good crop would fill the freezer and the boys do so love to peel those thick thick skins off... Personally they remind me of big cattle ticks... but the inside so yummy and green...

No comments: