Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nasty Mummy

This year I decided that I would actually put my foot down (and leave it down!) and so I told the kids that they would not be able to go Trick or Treating this year! The last three years somehow they have talked me into allowing them to go. The final straw came last year when they returned home with approx 1.5kg EACH of lollies! (Yes, I weighed them... I was so horrified at how much they had!!!) Needless to say that half of them got thrown out as they were unwrapped and unsealed. Who knows what could have been put in them...

So I told them that this year instead they would prepare the treats for the children who did come knocking and they would be the GIVERS rather than the TAKERS. They sat and made these little treat pockets and all was well... 


The Big Man left with Mr Purple for their usual Monday night football game and The Little Man was left to wait patiently for the hoards of children coming down the street.... in his wig of course.


After about an hour of this, giving and not getting, he started to get the cranks... totally disowned me and started to get rude about the whole thing... Imagine his horror when I dish up gnocchi (his second favourite, yes I'm a crawler, but with broad beans, asparagus, zucchini and onion!) I may as well have told him that there would be no lollies for a year by the look on his face. He picked out all the gnocchi, ate nothing else and did not even beg for something else to fill the hole... Oh dear!

Of course, today when I emptied his lunch box I found a Kit Kat wrapper. "Where did you get that?" "Oh Maddie gave it to me because I didn't go trick or treating." I can just see it, he will be playing that line for weeks to come, trying to weasel lollies out of all the kids... blasted lollies, who invented them?

No comments: